|Sometimes, you just get those really weird problems...
||[Jun. 18th, 2006|08:12 am]
Debian GNU/Linux Users
Yesterday I was trying to help someone install Debian on their PC. No, I was not over at their place. Yes, I was using instant messaging.|
So here's how it went:
1. I got them to partition using GParted. After a long time and a lot of frustration it worked.
2. I got them to print out the Debian Installer HOWTO and the partitioning setup they should use. That worked.
3. Then he proceeded to install the Debian base. That worked.
4. Then he rebooted. He got into base-config. He did all that stuff and rebooted into Windows to tell me how it went.
5. And I was like, "did you get the graphical interface? did you?" and it was like "no..."
6. "did you remember to select the desktop environment option?", "oh crap i'm stupid"
7. After a reboot and a run of tasksel, he got something installed. Then he told me the weird part: for some reason he had... two video cards!?!?!
8. Then I got him to reconfigure XFree86 and tell me all the choices he made. He emailed them to me and then he was forced to log off...
So now I'm waiting for him to get back online so I can tell him what to do...